Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Excitement

These days I wait in excitement of when our first sale will come. It has been slightly more than a month since I started working on the online pet business while my business partner takes a long-overdue break. The online pet products business has been running for a total of 18 months but last year, we did not do much marketing. This year, we went on a very aggressive market drive on the online pet products business. 


I still can recall very vividly how I feel - every day, I wonder when we will get our first sale, when no sales come in I wonder if it is me not doing enough. I have been reading blogs of other entrepreneurs giving me tips on what I need to do, what I should be doing and in my search, I have not really found one blog that speaks to me on all aspects of developing a start-up business. There is no one blog that told me these are the initial steps one has to take.


One particular blog that I read (now I cannot remember which blog since I read so many), compares the initial start-up of a business to that of a fresh graduate applying for a job. One would be sending in numerous job applications but only 1 out of 100 would reply - this is similar to me sending out numerous emails to get in contact with suppliers/distributors for me to carry their pet products. It is just so frustrating when they do not reply - maybe it is indeed because they have their business and there is really no incremental value towards increasing or working any harder.


On good days, I wait in excitement of what my email might bring me. On bad days, I go into depression and hide away.


I guess these are the perils of running one's own business in Singapore especially starting from ground zero up with little or no support from influential figures here in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment