Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 0 (Monday)

Today is the first day in which I do not have a corporate job. It is a weird feeling because my routine for the last 16 years have been always rushing from meeting to meeting, keeping to a deadline, managing clients/customers/boss/employees/peers expectations, the list is just endless - fulfilling what was expected of me as an employee in my role in the organisation. More importantly, today denoted the end of receiving a fixed monthly salary. For me that is the most scary part of living a life without a corporate job. Maybe all the stress and endless chasing of one's tail is worth the constant monthly salary, I am thinking.


My friends upon hearing of my exit from the corporate world were very encouraging. A friend even sent me a gift to welcome me to the world of corporate-leavers. A few friends called me on my last day in the corporate world and congratulated me.


My team gave me a really nice and touching gift - a book which captured from each of the team member the impact I left on each of them throughout my career at the most recent company. This was definitely something that tugged at my heart-strings and made me think if I was of sound mind to leave the corporate world and if this was the best solution for myself. Today was filled with lots of self-questioning and self-doubt.


On this day, I did some things of which I did not do in a long while - I took the public transport ie bus to meet my friends for lunch, I recorded what I spent that day even down to the very cent of how much that bus ride cost me (SGD$0.73), and I wrote down what I did for the day to affirm myself that I was still a contributing member of this society. 


Did all this re-affirmed my role as a contributing member to this society, one that values the address in which one's live, one's perceived high monthly salary, the job title one's holds?

No comments:

Post a Comment