Thursday, May 24, 2012

More Time for Books

When I was working in a corporate job, constantly running through my head was how nice it would be if I could just stay home and read my books. Wouldn't that be just perfect? I have been home for 1.5 weeks ie since I left my corporate job and guess what, I have not even finished reading half a book. So far, I have only managed to read 20 pages. Having said that, I must confess I have been reading on other matters which I previously and absolutely did not get a chance to read, for instance - making a perfect cup of espresso, reading newspapers from a few months back, catching up on magazines that have been sitting and piling up in a corner, reading personal development blogs, entrepreneur blogs, the reading list is endless.


So how do I feel? I feel that it has been such a long time since I have been able to read because I genuinely wanted to learn something as opposed to reading materials for work such as monthly financial reports, reading long emails from people who did not want to just pick up the phone to discuss or accidents reports etc, you know what I mean. From this, I feel there is just so much for me to learn - there are so many people out there I wish I can connect with so that a flow of exchange can start, how I wish I was back in school, in a community where we can learn from each other.


A friend just highlighted to me that there are such communities that exist outside schools or universities and it is all part of networking groups. For me, I genuinely believe in most of such networking sessions, people in general go with an ulterior motive - to see who next one is able to get some business from as opposed to the idea of exchanging information and ideas so that we can further enhance knowledge and ideas in our community of practice. Even in some of such communities, I find the knowledge not as in-depth because we do not have the patience these days to thoroughly learn something or learn something in-depth.


What do you think? Any networking groups you suggest that I can attend specifically for entrepreneurs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment